Monday, June 22, 2009

the big aha

I keep waiting for some big epiphany from my 1407-mile bike ride. A lesson from soul searching, a glimpse into the reality of our society, a new guiding principle that will lead me throgh life--something.

But the only thing I learned is that I love riding bikes. Three weeks of ten hours a day pedalling and I can't wait to ride again.

I saw a job advertisement for Google to ride a camera-carrying bicycle around college campuses to help the company track video footage for its website. I could do that, I thought. I'd love to do that, I thought. Think of all the places I could go and how strong my legs would be. Worrying about getting an office with a window would be a story only my dad would tell.

Many people asked me why I rode so far- was it to raise money, bring attention to a serious cause, prove myself after some terrible life crisis. Nope. I just rode my bike because it sounded like fun.

And now that I am home I look at photos from my trip I am amazed I did it. I am also delighted how much fun I had challenging Adrian to games and stopping for mid-day dips in the river. And for me, the big lesson is the bicycles are meant for adults just as much as kids.

Maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment