Friday, June 5, 2009

letting go

At what point growing up did we let go of "it"? Along this trip I have been rationalizing why I shouldn't do something vs why i should be doing something.
For instance, whilst pedaling by a beautiful overlook I think to myself, "I would like to sit and look at that for a while." And soon enough reasons why I shouldn't flood my mind. Time, miles, destination...
What am I doing? Isn't that time, that moment why I took this trip? But looking at it in the broader view doesn't everyone do that everyday? When we were young if we wanted to do something we did it. You wanted to roll down a grassy hill, jump in a big puddle or put elbows on the dinner table, you did it because you were young and you got a pass because you didn't know any better. But at some point we had to stop all that because of the consequences. Puddles equals dirty shoes and non-refundable pants and "who do we think we are putting the new shirt grandma got you on the dinner table?"
When did it become ok not to do what we want? I am not asking to rob banks but if I want to be late because I want to look at scenery I don't want to catch grief for it. As a matter of fact I would like to routinely go where I am not supposed to and not feel strange because it says no trespassing. It's just a field and it's just a sign. Is there some sort of adrian pass that I can get that will protect me like the former "he's just a kid"? I want to be like Peter Pan but without the clothes, fellow kids and a pirate who is trying to kill me. I've been watching the news, Somalians look tough.
So it's official I am going to start doing what I want even if it's not always ok, being late, elbows on the table, and what ever else I want. Actually blogging has been getting on my nerves so I think I'll

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to see pix of you doing "whatever you want". Come on, go trespassing at least once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about living in the moment. You set goals - in this case mileage, destination, etc. And the point of your trip is to experience every ounce of the ride, nature, each other. Stop and look at that thing. There's time...

    ReplyDelete